Translate

Thursday 22 August 2019

White Water Rafting, Nanshan Cultural Park, Poorly Boss

August 19th We had a fairly successful day today, the plan went well. Chris and Amber wanted to go rafting, after seeing the video by Patrick and Jake on Tropicalhainan.com. I would have liked to have given it a try but there’s an age limit, 60 for men and 55 for women. If I had tried to cheat, my passport would have been checked. Huan was not feeling so good so ended up waiting in the car until our wanderers returned. I took the opportunity to make a little Keymission video for my You Tube channel, you can see it here: - https://youtu.be/Pi1ZkkaVLl0 and there is a small photo album here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q88EFswKSQb3v1yZ7

Chris and Amber really enjoyed their ‘ride’; it took them just over two hours to raft down the river, get showered and changed and then get the bus back to where we were waiting. I of course got soaked while waiting for them to come back!


Should you fancy trying it yourself, and I highly recommend it, then check out both my video referred to above and this one https://www.tropicalhainan.com/discover-hainan-episode-6-white-water-rafting-in-wuzhishan/. We are not sure at what time it closes but from our arrival, for the twelve o’clock run, until we left at nearly three o’clock, there was a constant stream of customers arriving and taking off downriver. The place itself is very well organised and there are restaurants should you fancy eating after your ‘wild water experience’.

In the evening Huan went straight to bed, I guess it would have been better if she had stayed there this morning. The rest of us went to the burger restaurant and took a photo just to let Huan know we were missing her. That one’s not for you! We had a walk round the town square where Chris was lucky enough to film four different dancing groups. Finally, as we got home, we found a frog outside our building main door and tried to get as near as we could to take its photo without frightening it into jumping down a three metre drop.


August 20th We had a minor communication breakdown this morning and I thought Huan was fine, when in reality, she should have stayed home in bed. Today we were off to Nanshan Cultural Tourism Zone to see the “Guanyin Statue”. This is ‘three figures in one’ statue with the three figures representing peace, wisdom and mercy. This is definitely another place worth visiting; the grounds are beautiful and for the most part well maintained. Unfortunately, you can’t go to the top of the statue but the views from the fourth floor which you can go to, are wonderful. You can see a lot more photos in the album: - https://photos.app.goo.gl/zxoZLZNWSDm3ne2z6


As I say, Huan wasn’t so well and didn’t walk around with us so after we had seen the ‘lady in the sea’, and had a little lunch, we returned to Wuzhishan. There is a hotel on site and plenty of places to eat so I would suggest staying at least one night, two would be even better.

We drove home via Ledong; put Huan to bed, and then Chris and Amber went out for dinner while I made myself a lovely cheese and beetroot sandwich. Hopefully Huan will be a little better in the morning but I think we’ll make it a lazy day anyway.

August 21st Huan still in bed, hot water and dry toast provided. The rest of us were just lazy although I did upload two more albums to Tropicalhainan.com.

Lunch for Huan was rice soup so she had to get up and press the right button for me! If I’m ever cooking a meal that includes rice I just use a saucepan. Sandwiches for the rest of us, I can’t go wrong there!

The children went shopping in the afternoon, in the rain! I did absolutely nothing worthwhile apart from check in on Huan now and then.

Come evening time and Huan was on rice porridge again then straight back to bed. I’ve never known her so knocked out. We went out for dinner. On the way, Chris spotted a caterpillar which we both took photos of, this time his turned out better. He also noticed that this one seems to have a ‘tail’ which may or may not be a ‘stinger’.


The restaurant that I chose had no pictures for most of the dishes and my Chinese wasn’t helping too much but we succeeded and had a reasonable meal. We passed by our local supermarket on the way home where Chris took a fancy to chicken feet, that is photographing them and not eating them!

No comments:

Post a Comment