Translate

Monday 1 August 2022

New Camera Finally Ordered.

July 26th A change of pace for a Tuesday, we had to go shopping because we didn’t do that yesterday. I had to wait a while after while Huan went to buy some chips for tonight’s dinner. The sat-nav screen was quite apt based on recent UK news both with the temperature and with the name of the album.

Bear in mind that we live in the mountainous part of Hainan so down the slopes in Haikou or Sanya it would have been even warmer.

Usually, Monday is our default day of rest but as we had an after dinner walk yesterday, and as I can sometimes be bone idle, we had one today instead. All I did was finish Line of Duty; I have to say I was rather disappointed with the ending.

I did cook though, fish and chips and peas. Well, I deep fried the fish, which was more like fish fingers, it wasn’t a patch on British fish and chips but it made a very pleasant change. As we still have no gas, the chips were the ones Huan bought this morning, heated up in the microwave on top of a bowl of tinned peas. There was a photo planned but I forgot!

July 27th Today was a beautiful day for a walk, a little warm but we were early enough and like good little people we wore our hats. Our route was across the bridge to somewhere and then down river to the mansions on the hill passing farms on the way. The first one is in the river itself, the second is on the opposite bank where we walked.


We were quite lucky today in that there was a fair bit of shade where we were walking. As we were on the riverbank I was a little surprised but happy, Huan enjoyed the respite from the sun too. Our right hand side had a few animals today, some hiding from the sun, some not as you can see in these three photos.



The path had become quite overgrown in places but not so much that boots were required. This happens now and then until the farmers come along and trim everything so that they can get their motorbikes through. The third photo is of course the expedition leader!



“I’ll just go up there and see if there is anything worth taking a photo of” said I. Huan decided that she should take one of me instead.

Of course she had to continue when I came down and under the little tunnel. With the light behind me the photos were not so good so I converted them for you.

Through the mansions on the hill and their attached allotments we came to the turkeys, photos were needed, a mix of Huan’s and mine. These were the children, hence the scrawny look, the parent was inside where I couldn’t get a photo but Huan said it was very big.

I was beginning to be a little worried about the call of nature so we took a shorter route which would get us either to a village loo or home quicker. I did have to call the cows though.

Huan had to take more photos again and despite only using her phone, she did quite well. The cows were all at the back of the byre but came to the front when I called them.

In the middle of the village there is a small school, perhaps a kindergarten, and an area clinic. Next to the clinic, thankfully, was a public toilet, clean enough and functional. Within minutes I was again a very relaxed Bob.


Our last photo of the day is unusual in that it is a lizard, spotted by yours truly. Huan is normally the first, or only one, to see them so I was pretty chuffed with myself. The colours made it difficult to see so well but I think the edits have worked. Now all you zoologists out there, perhaps you can tell me if this little lady(?) is with child?

We walked slightly less than seven kilometres this morning so the plan was to have another walk after dinner. That plan was rendered invalid by me sleeping too long in the afternoon and nor being in the walking mood when I woke up. Never mind, today’s post completed and a new series begun, ‘Happy Valley’.

July 28th The boss was up early and raring to go today, much more so than me, but I pulled my socks up anyway and got on with it. Her decision was Feicui Park, the clockwise route of course, so I willingly concurred. Downstairs my leader had forgotten her water bottle so as I was waiting I snapped the mountains, always nice to see.

As we passed the rubbish area we spotted the maintenance boss so we asked him why they were not using the shelter they had built to store the bins under. His reply was very scathing about the ‘owners and renters’ who pass by on their motorbikes and just toss the rubbish. Some people are just too lazy to put it in the bin unless the bin is nearer the road.

Today I spotted another critter that Huan didn’t, a rare occurrence but twice this week; this was a little chipmunk. However, spotting and getting near enough aren’t quite the same.

Soon we were on our way up the hill.

As we neared the bridge where we cross and go back down, water was coming off the mountain. Huan decided that I should pose here!

Before long we were in the woods on the other side.


Even in a rain forest irrigation is sometimes needed. Here they are making sure their betel nut crop is being well looked after.

This is possibly Huan’s favourite walk and I quite like it too. She would probably like to walk this way more often, I prefer variety and like to vary our routes.


Two photos to do with wood coming up next, the first being trees being pruned and shredded!

The second is art and craftsmanship, an old tree is being transformed into a tea table. It will end up all varnished and shiny and looking beautiful.

Today was a long one, ten kilometres, naps were definitely needed.

July 29th Both of us were feeling too lazy for a morning walk so we stayed in, Huan to practice her music, and me to once again surf the web looking for cameras. By lunch time I had decided on a compact Panasonic at a good price. After lunch I got Huan, the Taobao expert, to come and help me and as usual, all my plans came to naught! The camera, whose sale price expires at midnight on Sunday, was actually out of stock! Another store turned out to be second hand. We had a go on JD.com which is another market place, much like Amazon but probably better. In the end we gave up there too.

After dinner we needed a walk, not just for the exercise, but also to relax our poor confused brains. Across the river I checked on dam progress, nil for months, or so it seems.

That was the sum total of photos for today, a failure all round.

July 30th This little piggy went to market, and he took his little wifey with him. Our first stop was to buy the weekend lottery tickets, Huan buys Monday to Thursday’s, five lines a day, and I buy Saturday and Sunday’s, ten lines a day. One day I will be holding up a winning ticket!

These next two photos are to show that sometimes, rules can appear to be arbitrary. Approaching the market there are lots of people and no health checks, passing the barrier to enter the street after the bridge, scanning is required.


Just to keep things even here’s a snap of Huan spending money, she is buying the duck.

And here is someone taking out his frustration on a cow.

Almost home and Huan found another lizard and although the camera was around my neck we both forgot about it. Blame it on the shopping bags or old people’s forgetting things! We took photos with the phone but they weren’t so good.




Having only walked five and a half kilometres this morning we planned an after dinner walk. Just before dinner, from out of nowhere the rain appeared, it certainly wasn’t forecast, so we shelved our plan for another time.


Here’s a lovely photo of our dinner duck along with the implement of destruction. Those are chicken shears, at least that is what they were sold as in Abu Dhabi, and they do a wonderful job.

The day did end on a brighter note, at least I hope so. After checking on the reliability of JD.com and how to use it we went back on to the website and had another go. It seems that there could be a delay of up to six or seven weeks as the camera has to be imported. They did assure us that the camera would be new with a shutter count of zero so we’ve gone for it. Fingers crossed our money will be safe! From everything we’ve read we believe there is nothing to worry about. All Huan wants me to do now is not change my mind again!

July 31st Both of us were up nice and early this morning; I had even finished and shared “Wordle” before seven o’clock. However, we were a little lazy and slow off the mark and didn’t get out until after nine, Huan with her new sun protection.

Passing by the ‘duty free’ we stopped to look at the electric mopeds, they are everywhere here in Hainan and reasonable cheap. This sale even has a BOGOF!

Going through the little village at the end of the bridge to somewhere, someone decided to wake the whole village to tell them I was passing.

Another creature popped up a little further down although I should say ‘dropped in’. This spider appeared dangling in front of us and didn’t scoot back up. If you are not one to be paranoid about spiders you can see the video here - https://youtu.be/czYfMEN7sCg

A little further on, in ‘Luobote’ village, a bus passed us, most unusual. A few yards on he did a three point turn and went back again. The bus had no number so we think it could have been a few tourists or perhaps potential house buyers, I guess we will never know.

The cows were in residence again today, here I am feeding one and asking it nicely not to bite my hand. Do people ever get bitten by cows?

As always, Huan has to have a lot of photos of Bob, why, I have no idea. Many of them go straight in the bin but I do have to save the odd one.

We haven’t had a panorama for a while have we? Here is one of a sunny stretch. We chose today’s route for its abundance of shady bits but it does also have bits like this.

Now we bring you a spot of colour. Normally, the rubber collecting cups are black, today we found some red ones, and you can see from the trees that they are very much in use.

To add a couple of kilometres we took a ‘long cut’ home, via the road to somewhere.

It’s been a while since we saw any car stickers so here are some topical pandas.

This photograph is at the end of the road to somewhere to show you where it is going to go. The sign post for straight ahead says ‘future road’. It will have to go somewhere to the left of said signpost and a little to the right of the ‘gate’. We’ll see in a couple of years.

Taking this route home gave us the opportunity to say hello to a regular fisherman. Today, as we were passing he actually caught something.

What did he catch? It certainly wasn’t big enough to feed the family!

Finally for today we have a couple of the couple on the little island. This time the spot was chosen by yours truly


As is the wont of OAPs we had to have an afternoon nap, before which I sang to Huan, “What a drag it is getting old”. Apart from all the additional sleep we seem to need, I also seem to be a lot clumsier these days, I’ve thrown my coffee on the office floor three times this week! No doubt my young sister will remind me that my mother always said I was clumsy as a child.

August 1st “The Lift-Your-Spirits Quote Book” compiled by Allen Klein, ISBN 0-517-16309-8, published in 2001. This month’s quote comes from the chapter “Lighten Up” You find yourself refreshed by the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an earnest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy. (Lydia Maria Child) Bob’s PS – I am as guilty as anyone of being negative and grumpy. Please feel free to put me in my place if do that either in conversation or in my Blog posts!

Nothing to report for today except the usual shopping. Both of us were too lazy to do anything else, so it was Chinese TV for Huan and ‘Happy Valley’ for me. Oh, and I did do the monthly upload of photos for my children. We ended the week, as we nearly always do, on a happy and contented note. Life is good! Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment