Translate

Monday 10 July 2023

Assorted Ramblings About Changhao Countryside Rambling.

July 4th Wonders will never cease; both of us were up before seven this morning. After a relaxing start we were out walking by half past eight. This morning we thought that, for a change, and as it has been so long, we would investigate the mountain hotel walk. Only very old readers will remember that we used to go swimming up there, a long time ago. We haven’t visited for at least four or five years now, what with Covid and everything.

Snowbirds were noticeable only by their absence today. We had to walk up on the road, new pipes were being laid on the pavement side, but soon enough we were further up and fine.


If we were doing our usual Feicui Park (clockwise) walk this is where we would continue going straight, cross the bridge and go down the other side of the valley. Today we turned left.

The road to the top also sports a village name, 海南第一村, Hǎinán dì yī cūn - Hainan First Village, although I doubt it has any historical meaning. It is very doubtful that the first village on an island would be up in the mountains.

At the top, we were disappointed yet again. Before Covid the rules had been changing and then during Covid no one was allowed in at all. There is still a sign on the way in saying that everyone has to pay ¥5.00 even if they just want to walk through. We agreed with each other that just this one we would do that only to find that the rules have changed yet again. Despite the fact that there is a footpath to the reservoir, only guests of the hotel are now allowed to enter. Now if it was a successful and busy hotel I might understand that but it is neither.

On the way back down we met someone who may or may not work there, and he told us that the hotel couldn’t afford to pay the cleaners and visitors left too much trash everywhere. That is why visitors are now banned. All the more reason to apply a small entrance fee for the park walk I would have thought. Hotels here also don’t seem to grasp the idea of allowing ‘outsiders’ to use the facilities, in this case the pool, for a fee. That fee could be each time, or an annual fee, I would certainly pay to swim there.

Somewhere along the way, my fitness app went berserk and we had three very fast kilometres, two that took one second each and one that took two seconds! When we got home the total was wrong but after some simple corrections we worked out that we had walked eleven and three quarter kilometres. That was enough for the day and enough to warrant an after lunch nap.

The duty chef today was yours truly, and for a change it was a very simple, almost English meal for Huan to (hopefully) enjoy. It was minced pork, mashed potato and peas. The only exotic ingredient was garlic and I did add some onion to the pork. There were no other herbs and spices, just salt, and of course salted butter and milk for the mash. This was Huan’s plate.

I’m pleased to say that the simple fare went down very well, and both of us were well content. For Huan, the best part came after dinner when her mood was lifted even further by a message that her driving lessons would resume again tomorrow!

July 5th An alarming start to the day once again, I really don’t like them anymore. Retirement and getting up when you want to, is wonderful, shocking yourself awake is not. However, it is worth it so that the future Minister of Transport can learn to drive. Today, after dropping the ladies off, I headed back towards Wuzhishan heading for the turn off where we usually head off into the countryside when coming the other way.


On the way I passed the other driver training ground which has been unused for quite some time. We asked the instructor today and all he could tell us was the land was owned by the army.

Sooner than expected the turnoff was reached and a sharp left was taken, soon after which I was standing on the bridge taking a lovely panorama for you.


Taking a detour in the village one of the farmers told me that there was “no through road” the way I was heading. I told him that I knew and that I was heading for a lovely quiet, beautiful spot to take photos. It is wonderful, no cars, no people and this view.

Just less than an hour into my walk I ended up here where, if I had crossed the bridge, within ten minutes I would have been back at the training ground.

Instead I turned right and headed towards the weir crossing. I didn’t cross though, just went a little further on to show you the valley from the other end for a change.

Time wasn’t going to allow me to walk around the valley and go through Changhao so I retraced my steps back to the bridge, passing this gorgeous view on the way.

Reaching the main road I went straight across.

All I saw down the track were some cows in an old cottage. The farmers wondered why I was talking to them; I tried to tell them that sometimes cows come to me for chats and strokes! By the time I reached the car and stopped for a well earned break I had covered 7.18km.

By sheer coincidence, we walked exactly the same distance in the evening, a necessary walk to buy lottery tickets! Sausages were on the list too but both suppliers were sold out. As usual, we had no camera with us for our evening walk, and would you believe it, we found a lizard. The poor little creature was terrified and couldn’t get a grip on the fabric wall. We managed to guide him to a place where he could escape from us more easily.

Next was a cat, but not in a hat. This one was in a wheel.

And that will do for today I think, I still have to do my daily Chinese practice and then go and set the alarm for tomorrow, again!

July 6th Up nice and early, even before the alarm today, and the ladies plus driver were delivered to the training ground safely. Today’s walk took me into Changhao itself.


A right turn then took me out of the town again and across the bridge. This particular river is a tributary and joins up with our river downstream from our house.


Heading off into unknown territory now I went through the village of Zhimao Cun where the road began a gradual incline. However, the scenery ahead implied that the incline would increase!

Not far ahead road signs implied the same.

Soon the scenery followed suit but the walk was still fairly pleasant and looking back made it all the more worthwhile. Spot another ‘steep road incline’ road sign in the first photo.


Although I was still ascending the going was not too tough, especially when I reached shady spots like this one.

If you look smack bang in the middle of the previous photo to may see what looks like a sign. It is in fact a camera and a talking sign; it spoke to me as I passed it.

“What did it say?” I hear you ask. Well it was an advisory sign informing me about fire safety in the forests. Unless I was being chased by wild animals in the middle of the night, I think the forest is fairly safe with me around.

Around the bend the road continued on its upward incline but I didn’t follow it. This was a good spot for me to turn around and start retracing my steps towards the training ground. If my passengers were to be kept waiting they may not have been too happy.

Going down, as always, was a lot easier than going up, and before too long Changhao was laid out before me in all its glory.


Finally, the approach road, from here it would be less than two kilometres back to where the ladies were. I had enough time for a water stop here.

Today’s walk was marginally longer than yesterday’s, just over seven and a half kilometres, but the hill tired me out a little. Naps were an absolute necessity today, even for Huan. For myself, I struggled so much to wake up that I took an executive decision and cancelled any after dinner walks that the Minister of Health may have planned!

Speaking of dinner, chef Bob was on duty again today, the menu was noodle soup made with a large tin of fish with broad beans. Another non planned part of the week; some dummy, who shall remain nameless, but it wasn’t the Prime Minister, bought another big tin of fish not realising we already had two in the cupboard. Still, with added vegetables it was very tasty. As usual, we forgot to take a photo for you.

July 7th Another early start for us with Huan having to be at the training ground by eight. However, Yú had to be there by seven as everyone had to be finished by nine today. The police were going to be inspecting either the cars, the drivers or both. Here is The Boss, checking that Yú is doing what she should be doing.

With only an hour to waste today I couldn’t walk too far so it was down to the weir, across and then down to Caoban before heading back on the other side of the road. I crossed the weir the other way; here is the view downstream from the middle.

Reaching the other side dry, I thought you might like to see an elongated me. For someone who is wearing shorts and not trousers I have very odd looking legs in this photo!

On the way back towards Caoban I spotted rather a large cobweb and then, in my attempts to get there went straight through another one, not a nice feeling. Anyway, for your and #1 daughter’s delight, here is the spider in the web I was aiming for.

With not being in a rush, having taken the short route, I took a couple of detours. “What is up there?” I pondered. By the way, the little bridge is not bamboo, it is concrete lampposts.

Quite a nice little fish pond was the answer to the question.

Arriving back at the training ground I found eight cars lined up for inspection. By the time we left there were twenty or so, but I didn’t want to be obvious taking photos.

Back home we had a short break before Ann and Bingbing from Haikou arrived. They had come to interview me with a view to improving tourism in Wuzhishan. I’m pretty sure I was the wrong person to ask but no problem, I was not busy. They stayed and had a luncheon meat and cheese sandwich for lunch. Before eventually heading off a group selfie was taken, their phones are far easier to fit everyone in than ours are.

No naps for the old couple today, there was no time! After dinner we had another walk, mostly to buy the makings of the weekend’s pork salad dinner. Music was emanating from the little island so we passed by that way. It would appear that there is a fashion show tonight. Why we never find out about these events in advance I will never know. Mind you, we will give this particular one a miss; we’re up early again tomorrow.

For the second time today we present a row of vehicles. These are much bigger and hold more people! We thought that the high school examinations had finished for this year but according to the police on duty that is what was happening today. The buses were waiting to ferry the students back home again.

My fitness app went berserk again today, it added another five and a bit super-fast kilometres to our walk telling us that we had walked thirteen and not the eight we estimated. I wonder if the signal jamming carried out at exam time affects the app. Mind you, the time and the map trace are both correct so how that could be the case is beyond my feeble brain cell.

July 8th Are we getting used to being up so early? Huan certainly is; she was up way before the alarm. I woke up fifteen minutes before it went off but then had a fifteen minute snooze! Once I had dropped off the ladies and the instructor I headed towards Changhao again. Because Huan wasn’t with me I could be bad boy and walk on the wall.

This time I headed straight through Changhao on, believe it or not, Changhao Road.

Within seconds I was out of the village, over the bridge and in the countryside.


On the overhead wires I spotted the first birds of the day.

And then suddenly I was in Changhao village again?

This led to a lot of translating when I got home, with Huan’s assistance of course. It seems that Changhao, the one we know, is not a village but a township. For your learning pleasure I present to you - , cūn – village, , xiāng – township, , zhèn – town, , shì – city, , xiàn – county, , shěng – province. Who knows, there may be even more!

Anyway, onwards through Changhao ‘village’, into the countryside again and to the next village, where a decision was needed, left or right?


Having vague recollections of turning right in the past when we were driving in this area, and taking a long route over the mountains, and knowing that as usual, I would have to decide on a turn round point, I opted to go left over the little bridge you can see. There was a nice view from it, and if you look carefully, another bird on a wire.

The turn around point came quite unexpectedly. The road ahead was blocked by a big steel gate, and more worryingly, a large CCTV camera. I decided that taking photos of the gate and camera may not have been wise so took a photo back the way I had come instead.

Before too long I was stood almost directly underneath two birds on a wire again. A third one then appeared, maybe it was jealous of the attention the first two were getting.


Maybe there is a way to cut across the fields, cross the stream, and find a path to the road that leads to the top side of Changhao. Off I went; the answer was a resounding no.


Still heading in the general direction needed I walked along the riverbank retaining wall. It started reasonably well but as you can see in the fourth photo, eventually I had to find another way. Who knows what would have befallen me had I continued.

Without any further problems, apart from stepping in a big muddy morass, I was soon back on the road to my love. Of course I was being a bad boy again, this time walking the wrong side of the crash barrier. Coffee waited for me in the corner shop.


Sitting there, the phone said I had walked just about six and half kilometres. Less than three hundred metres later, when I reached the car, I had managed to get up to fourteen kilometres. Once again the workout was uploaded for Xiaomi’s inspection.

Once the ladies were done and Yú and the instructor had been dropped off Huan and I headed for the Saturday market. The only new stall we found was assorted dried meats, fish and stuff.


It’s amazing that I can walk for kilometres in the countryside without seeing a single lizard and then, walking back to the car from the market with Huan, there was a long lost friend.

Our market walk also went wrong, on the phone, it should have been approximately five and a half kilometres, it turned into ten. Another one sent to Xiaomi. Later in the day I updated the app, let’s see what happens tomorrow! Mind you, with such a busy day yesterday we almost felt as if we had walked twenty four kilometres day and were forced to have an OAP nap!

July 9th I’m beginning to feel like a working man again, setting the alarm to chauffeur the bosses to their driving lessons. At least today it wasn’t such an early start, at least for Huan and I. Speak of the devil and she will appear, especially as I planned the script that way. She was standing in the sun watching Yú when I suggested she would be better in the shade. She did move under a tree as you can see here, but I bet she was back in the sun before I was out of sight.

As for me, my boots were still wet after sinking in the mud yesterday so I had to stick to the tarmac today. My first photo is of the trainees and their cars, it was busy today. There is a test coming up soon and it is also the weekend, I counted cars galore, even more when I got back.

At the risk of repeating myself, this lovely path goes alongside the village school in Caoban; it is one of our favourite walks.

To add a little distance I took an extra detour in Caoban, then left the village and took another detour heading uphill.




Because I have to have a turn round point on these walks, and because the people in the village I got to told me there was no way to go where I wanted to, I had to turn back. It’s a route than Huan and I will have to try on a ‘bus and walk’ day. On the way down I spotted, and was able to get a better picture of one of those beautiful spiders. It was right outside a farm and the farmer was chatting away quite merrily to me. It seems he has seen me many times.

Despite not being able to take as wide a bypass as I had hoped I was still able to add some distance and ended going back through both Fanya 2 and Fanya 1 villages.


Next up, I thought you might like to see a teacher, I guess I should have taken a video. It was quite educational watching the ‘hen’ teaching the chicks how to scratch the dirt for food.

Back at the training ground to collect my illustrious leader I took this photo of the office building roof. The offices are not used at the moment. Look carefully at the tree at the back, (upper right quadrant of the photo).

Now the whole of that tree is growing from the roof, none of the roots have broken through into the offices yet, and the tree is not grounded on the other side. Here’s the photo to prove it.

Last night I had updated the fitness app and today’s walk was fine. All data appeared to be well within the expected parameters, 6.46km in one hour and twenty two minutes. Map tracing was also as it should have been.

After dinner Huan decided another walk was in order and I was happy to concur. I had to include this collage for you. This is an old friend who doesn’t really remember me now, not since where she lives was abandoned. Recently she had pups, just look at the difference in expressions as she looks at me, between these two snaps.

Later on I was having a chat with a new pup, a different area, wondering what had happened to the old pooch who used to be there. Suddenly, jealous and galloping in from a distance, the oldie returned. His owner surprisingly said “he knows you”, she must not have seen me before.

Strange kilometre counts were issuing forth from the fitness app as we walked, It may well have been fairly accurate this morning, but this evening? Huan and I must have powers!

Needless to say, the workout was uploaded to Xiaomi again, along with this morning’s, just in case they need a reference. Needless to say also, I don’t expect to hear anything further.

July 10th Unusually for a Monday, I was out walking again, the reason being, I was the chauffeur again but just for SWMBO today. With restricted time and still no boots I headed towards Wuzhishan with plans to do some tentative probes off the road on the way. The first one was to take a left turn here.

It was very pleasant to start with, I even found a wall to stand on and look over the river.


Soon however, I had to turn back to the road.

Down another little track I found another of those roofs. This building has glass in the windows though so perhaps it is occupied.

Having turned around started heading back to the training ground my ‘probes’ were now on the other side of the road. Here is someone who didn’t like me trespassing on her territory.

Soon I was passing the outdoor spa so I thought I would snap that for you, and also include the view you get when partaking of a bath, (pronounced the posh way).

Before long I was back at the first turning I had taken so I crossed the road and took the one on that side. It led to another des res.


My des res turned out to be a completely abandoned old village farm.



This is another, much larger des res, one that we always thought would make a good B&B.

Being slightly earlier than planned I searched out Fanna village’s public conveniences. Oh how things have changed over the last few years. It was clean, smelled nice and even had soap.

And finally for this morning, a different view from my coffee drinking perch.

So, I bet you are all on tenterhooks to see how the fitness app performed this morning, aren’t you? Well, I am pleased to tell you that the map is fine, the time is fine (58 minutes and fifty six seconds), and that I walked 31.48km at a speed of 1 minute and fifty two seconds per kilometre. No wonder I needed refreshments and a sit down when I finished!

We did the usual after dinner and had a walk, for Huan to stretch her legs a bit and for me to increase my kilometres. Both of our aims were achieved, Huan felt better and so did I, we walked another 28.74km in just over an hour and thirty five minutes! My family always used to tease me for walking like a kangaroo, these last few days it seems I’ve been bounding like one!

Starting from tomorrow, I am going to turn off the auto-pause feature and see if there is any difference in workout reporting. Check back next week to see how it went. See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment