Translate

Monday 20 November 2023

Sanya Delivery Driver

November 14th Miracles happen; Bob was awake and up before the boss this morning. That meant that we were off on our long walk early enough. The first car decal quite fitted us, 去浪Qù làng - Go wander (you can see the English quite plainly “Now go do whatever you want.”) The second decal has nothing whatsoever to do with our walks, or even us, but how can you not take a fancy to a grumpy mouse. 请加, 柴油, qǐng jiā cháiyóu - please add diesel fuel.


After about three quarters of an hour someone was very happy, she found a lizard where she had never found one before.

We were walking to Nansheng today, out in the countryside, more beasties turned up.

Our route was to take us through the old army places, a substantially longer route than walking straight to Nansheng. This is where we know it’s rural roads from now on.

Of course our favourite mountain is never too far away, to see anyway!

Huan was soon busy finding her lazy friends again, somewhere in the first photograph there is the subject of the second, but neither of us can locate it.


I found the next one, Huan managed to get us both in the frame, and I got one of those rare photos that, to me anyway, looks really good. What do you think?


We always forget just how much distance, and time, this route adds to our walk to Nansheng. Luckily there is a lot for us to look at.

Passing the next village with its many fish ponds Huan shoved me into a hole in the undergrowth and said “can you get a nice picture of that bird from here?” I did my best.

I had planned to make a gif of her ladyship flouncing out of this building on our approach to Nansheng. She forbade me from doing such a thing. I suppose it’s just as well, she was wearing her hat and her face was in darkness most of the time.

Almost at the main road we spotted what we haven’t seen for a long time, lots of cows advancing on us. If I hadn’t been making a video they may have stopped to talk, but then again, the farmer was right behind them so perhaps not. https://youtu.be/4LaSKTVCb3M


Fitness tracker off it was time for some lunch before we got the bus home. We had covered 17km by the time we stopped. Both of us fancied jiaozi, or baozi or pork bread or flat vegetable bread but we were out of luck. I guess we were too late for such delicacies. We found a burger place instead called Fried Chicken, tiny kitchen downstairs, seating upstairs.


Huan insisted on taking my photo upstairs so after remembering to take one of my burger I took one of her too. We both had the same, chicken leg burger, not spicy but perhaps a little too sweet. They did the job, filled our rumbling tummies and cost hardly anything.



Let’s finish with another car decal. What have macaroons got to do with it though?

November 15th Not quite so early this morning, sometimes these long walks really make us feel our age, speaking personally that is. We still got out though and for another walk no less. I did give Huan the option of a drive but she turned it down. Instead she chose the ‘countryside walk’; my only condition was that we stick to roads. Yesterday showed us that a lot of places are still very wet and can be quite treacherous to walk on. We had a good day for it today, no rain, not a lot of sun and a bit of a breeze now and then.

On our way to the first village I thought a panorama might be a good idea. This view, unlike many, has no electricity pylons and cables to spoil it.

In the village the domestic animals wouldn’t come anywhere near me. Maybe, given time, they would but today all they did was back away and in the puppy’s case give me a warning bark.

Huan wanted me to take this chicken and her chicks so I agreed. It got me thinking though, why do we always see yellow chicks in the market and not assorted colours.

Cows were part of our walk again, only a family of three and the farmer though. Huan, as usual, wanted me to touch them so I tried. It would be more correct to say that the cow touched me and had a little sniff, I couldn’t get any closer.

How on earth Huan spots some of the things she does, I have no idea. This was a tiny green thing, on a green stalk, in the middle of loads of green. When I say tiny, I mean no bigger that the end of my thumb.

It was also a bit of a learning day for us, watching the farmers get the harvest in. We had seen some smallholders using foot powered machines earlier in the day, in places where large machines either couldn't access or because the ground was just too wet. Here is one of the machines and you can see a video here - https://youtu.be/MmpFZWGPAI8

My eyes beat Huan’s for a change! I saw movement at the side of the road and somehow managed to locate the cause, a little lizard. He was hiding under the leaves, not very easy to take a decent photo of at all, but here he is.

Huan had the last word mind you; she spotted a green friend and thrust it into my hand.




My little green friend looked very lethargic and was certainly not very curious today. Huan thought that it might be pregnant, quite possible I suppose. Do you know that they lay between 150 and 180 eggs (in an egg sac) but a mere handful will survive? Thanks Google.

November 16th Umbrella weather struck again this morning although the rain was very slight. My brolly was only up a couple of times and then only for a few minutes. We had to go shopping because the chef needed some minced beef or pork to make a shepherd’s pie this evening. The camera was left at home so photos are scarce, first a caterpillar.

Then we had a stop by the pet clinic where a couple of pooches were enjoying a little fresh air. They were also trying to play fight a smaller puppy, not in this snap. The second is a rather beautifully coloured kitten who couldn’t get through the window.


That was the end of our walk; we still managed eight kilometres though, not bad for two OAPs who have to take a nap every afternoon!

Normally, when making any kind of dish that requires oven time, we face problems due to still having no gas and me being reluctant to allow too many amps through the kitchen wiring at one time. Today we found a solution. I cooked the potatoes first then left them in the pan of hot water while I cooked the ‘filling’ in the frying pan. When that was almost done I drained and mashed the tatties so that there would be no delay. The prepared pot then went into our rarely used air fryer for the cheese to melt and brown.

This is a close up.

And this is the Prime Minister’s plate, ready for her to sample.

The Brits among you may wonder why there is no green. Where are the peas? We decided that as we already had garlic, carrot, onion and mushrooms inside along with potatoes on the top there was no need for added vegetables today. It must have worked, we were both well satisfied, and Huan even suggested I make another next week, with beef. Who knows, maybe I will.

November 17th What a glorious morning! Mind you, the photo doesn’t show that we had a north wind blowing so to start with we were feeling a little chilly, I should have worn a vest!

Heading over the bridge to somewhere we found another little green friend. Luckily, before trying to pick this one up, we realised why she was so lethargic, she was making babies. Look behind her, the cocoon, (mound) may change colour later, we think.

Our route today was through Luobote village, one that Huan likes and one that allows me to see some cows. Note how they are all coming to say hello, maybe they thought I was the farmer coming to let them out for their daily walk.

Soon we had reached the point of no return, the riverside.


By now we had both warmed up and were quite enjoying the fresh air. We decided that this spot would be a nice place for a house, high enough from the river to avoid flooding. There is already one in this spot; it needs a bit of work though.

Huan could never live there anyway but I did point out some other disadvantages too. Electricity, water and sewage were high on the list; it’s also a long way from the shops and the hospital and has no bus service. It is possible to drive the car down but as there is only access from one side, if the road gets blocked for some reason, that’s it!

Dreaming done we set off through the countryside again.

Back in the village we found the back end of a wedding. We presume that this house is where the bride had been collected from.

In another part of the village, where Huan always insists we walk because she sometimes sees turkeys, we saw smoke. Getting closer, someone is obviously cooking something. However, I didn’t fancy removing the lid, it looked rather hot.

Huan’s luck was in and the turkeys were in residence. I had to change from camera to phone to try and get some snaps, I rather liked this one.

Right next door was another des res, which for some reason we have never seen before. Mind you, I doubt if either of us could live in this. It is very old style.

Here’s a last view of the mountains before we headed towards home.

“Make sure you keep an eye on the verges” I said, knowing that the chief’s eyes are so much better than mine. She missed everything from here on starting with this fellow.

Next she missed this mantis cocoon and a little flora. The cocoon was not very well hidden though so I don’t know how long it will last before the birds notice it.


Finally I found another lizard that SWMBO had missed. Oh, I was so happy!

I did plan to go out again but my resolve disappeared.

November 18th Market day again and we needed to buy the salad makings and some lovely cooked belly pork. Passing one of the local car wash places we spotted someone waving at us. Have you any idea of who he is meant to be? I didn’t either, but Google is your friend, as always - https://crayonshinchan.fandom.com/wiki/Shinnosuke_Nohara

Walking through a leafy little park Huan soon called me and had me going the other way where somehow, on the other side of a tree, she had spotted a lizard. First of all she wanted a photo of all three of us together, she didn’t do so badly either.

And here is the lizard.

Veggies in hand we set off for the tofu (for Huan to make some patties later on) and for the pork. The market was quite busy, with no working read display I just took pot luck with this shot.

Yesterday Huan had tried to get me walking down a wet part of the mountain in the forest so that I could then make a gif from the resulting pictures. I refused; there was quite a good chance of me sliding down instead of walking. Because of that I gave her another chance today so here I am with veggies and fish, but no pork!

We had no pork because there was no sign of the seller in the outdoor market and she doesn’t turn up in the indoor market until around four in the afternoon. Still, it gave Huan a chance for a nap and then both of us went out for another nice walk. Would you believe that another car decal is the first photo? I don’t think any explanation is needed on this occasion, but I do wonder where the elephants came from.

On the way we thought we would pop into the town centre Baijiahui and enter via the back door. Maybe this sign has always been there but I only noticed it today. "Need to keep fit? Come to the gym and we’ll teach you how to play darts!"

November 19th When I asked where we would be walking this morning Huan told me (when I eventually worked it out) that she wanted to go the kindergarten route. That is one of our favourite walks so no problem for me. We passed the outdoor gym which was quite full of returning snowbirds, maybe they get up earlier than we do, and then came to the bypass flyover.

Soon we reached our turn off. We have never seen the place, 500 metres up the road, that sells all those different types of fish. Maybe it is hidden in the fields somewhere.

No sooner had we turned the corner than Huan was directing me across the drainage ditch to take a photo of quite a small and very well camouflaged lizard,

Soon we were on our way around the beautiful walk.




And a beautiful des res came up next, although I doubt SWMBO would live there.

More beautiful scenery and a farmer tending his cows.


We often see very small birds in the fields and we can never get a decent photo of them. Today we were a little luckier.

Just after Zali village Huan asked me to take this photo. I think you may have seen it before but just in case here’s the link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morinda_citrifolia. The ‘jingle bells’ singing birds live in a place that sells the juice, Noni juice. Having read this link I think I may well just give it a miss - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noni_juice

Eventually it was time to cross the bridge back to the main road to catch a bus home.

And here is the Minister of Transport with her bus pass.

The bus was a little busy today with students and snowbirds.

You may remember that I posted a video with cows walking last Tuesday. That’s all it was, nothing special, just some cows on a road. Well over two thousand people have viewed that video now so I thought I would check how other videos are doing. Here is a screen shot of the top six, just look at the numbers for #1.

Having walked enough for one day we finished off the weekend very lazily.

November 20th Another alarming start today, Huan had agreed with Yu that I would drive her new car from Sanya back to her home in Maoan village. That entailed us driving to Maoan to collect Yu and Zhaode, leaving the car there and taking a bus to Sanya, collecting the car and driving it back to Maoan, picking up our car and driving home. I expected to be home by mid afternoon. Problem #1, our car wouldn’t start and neither Huan nor I could understand the error message on the display. That meant we had to go by bus from here. I thought we would go to the bus station but Huan had us waiting on the main road.

With no sign of a bus and nobody really having any idea what was going on I suggested we walk back home, fix the car, and then go. By now the local repair shops were open. On the way we got a message, Yu’s daughter, who lives on the mainland, had found the bus times, something Yu and Huan were unable to do. Plans were changed again!


Yes, that is the bus station! It’s a long time since we took a bus to either Haikou or Sanya and we were not impressed by how much everything has deteriorated. The bus station has become smaller and seemingly less organised. The bus was in rather a dilapidated state and there was no stewardess on hand as there used to be. Maybe the completion of the central highway changed things, maybe more people own cars now, maybe the railway is in fact coming, who knows.

After stopping at the Maoan bus stop where Yu and Zhaode got on we headed off down the highway to Sanya. Walking towards the car sales area I found someone who likes fishing.

I took a lot of photographs of various BYD cars but decided not to share them with you. First there were too many and second you can see just as good on the BYD web pages. We were expecting to be there an hour or two; we ended up being there over four hours. The other three even got fed lunch. There was one for me too but I didn’t fancy eating a meal then falling asleep on the highway while driving someone else’s car!

Eventually the car was Yu’s!


I didn’t need to learn everything about the car but I did need a quick familiarisation with all the important parts to get us home safely. Luckily Huan didn’t manage to take too many photographs of yours truly; here I am learning and then driving.


How was the drive? This was my first drive in an EV and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The BYD Dolphin is classed as a ‘sub-compact hatchback which normally I would find uncomfortable. This car was fine, legroom, arm reach, controls, display, no complaints. When Huan had told me that her test would be in an electric vehicle I had been worried about the rapid acceleration that is possible. To show everyone I put my foot down twice, once on the city roads and then once on the highway. The car fairly leaps forward and throws you into the back of your seat. Huan and Yu decided that their test cars were nothing like this. In fact Yu has a great deal to learn about this car before she will be safe.

I do have to say that any preconceived ideas I may have had have disappeared. The driving experience was superb. My only worries would be the usual ones you read about, range anxiety. Yu will have a charger fitted at home; they live on the ground floor. If it were us, we would have far more problems being on the seventh floor. Of course, we are not in the market for a new car, I can only dream!

Arriving back in Maoan about half past five, Yu and Zhaode invited us to stay for dinner, an offer which we reluctantly had to turn down. Huan needed to get back to Wuzhishan to collect an express delivery from her sister in Dalian, dried fish and home made sausages! Instead we ate at our usual fast food place.

After what felt like quite an exhausting day no photo work was done and the Blog was not completed until the next morning. Hence my tardiness, please forgive me! C U again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment