Translate

Monday 11 March 2024

Two Lady Tourists, One Fallen Angel & One Ape!

March 5th We are in Haikou as I write this on the laptop and I could almost use the same text as I did last time we were here, “Why is it that when we have to get up early, and we set the alarm to do that, we spend half the night lying awake waiting for the alarm to go off?” This time it was me rather than Huan who didn’t sleep so well. On our way to Haikou we had a coffee and a fag stop for me, tiredness is a good excuse.

This year was a slightly later start, my appointment was for 09:55 so we could check in at the hotel first. They told us they had no cheapo rooms so we had to have a ‘suite’. For suite read a divider between the bed and the settee.

At the hospital I was #24 on the list for the doctor. Thankfully the list was moving quite fast and before too long we were in the next building for my blood tests. Just look what number I was here! Mind you, before Huan took that photo at least twenty people had visited the hatch to empty their arms. Not many were as nervous as me.

From the hospital we took a brisk walk to the bank to bring my passbook up to date and to change some of my pension pennies. All could be done on the intelligent ATM, with a little help from the staff of course. Our, or should I say my, plan was to then explore camera shops using the info we had managed to get from the internet. First stop was what used to be GOME where there was supposed to be a Canon shop. It’s not GOME anymore and there is no camera shop. We then had a little lunch where my glasses fell to pieces. Luckily we were very near the cheap reading glasses shop, a new pair was found for ¥15.00. Like many a snowbird we then took a bus.

Computer city was our next stop where the Panasonic was handed over for inspection. To fix it we would have to wait while they sent it to Guangzhou. For the dead Fuji they offered me the princely sum of ¥100.00. As for new cameras, no Panasonics anywhere, not a good range of Canon or Nikon but plenty of old models. If those old models had been reduced in price I may have considered one. Overall I was not very impressed. A decision was made that we would walk back to our hotel just seeing the sights. We found a park that we didn’t know existed even though we have visited Haikou many times.


Somebody was happy she found a squirrel, I was happy with the scenery.


Next is an old temple we think, although the name on the stone does not match any of the names in the English screed above.

Let’s finish the park with a memorial, the two lakes and a bridge.


You’ll never believe what we found when we left the park, a camera shop. Maybe I should say ‘the’ camera shop because there doesn’t appear to be one anywhere else. For my Hainan readers it is very near the north gate of the Haikou People’s Park.

Before you all make a beeline there I should add that although the premises are hands down far better than those of Computer City, the availability is not much different. They do have Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras and surprisingly also Fuji.

Huan thought I was getting her lost again but my sense of direction did not let me down. To get back to the hotel, on the little island, we needed a bridge. One such bridge is very near Qilou Old Street where we found a dragon partaking of some sun and vitamin D. On a side note, this is a perfect place to have camera shops!

From a heavenly dragon we move to a fallen angel! Huan tried her hardest to make the swing do as its name described but it was far too heavy. Even a push to start didn’t help much.

This is one of those shop signs that I just had to take and share with you. This is a bubble tea café, originally from Singapore I think. It may well be your cup of tea, (see what I did there), but I’m fairly sure they do not know what the meaning of ‘swill’ is.

All that was left for today was to go out in the evening for dinner. We found a small, quite cheap restaurant where the food was very nice and tasty. The only problem we had was the temperature of it. It wasn’t spicy, just ferociously hot. I think there were two reasons for that. Firstly this is a small franchise chain so the food is probably only micro-waved on site. Secondly, the food delivery guys were in and out while we were there and customers probably prefer not to receive their food cold. It was worth the ‘cooling down period’ though.

As you can see there are quite a few collages today, they were necessary to keep the number of photos down. You can always click to enlarge if you need to see more.

March 6th The Minister for Climate Change had the A/C on 21⁰ most of the night so sleep was not that good for either of us. Once awake we headed out into the misty morning, had soup noodles for breakfast and then hopped into the car. Today we were going to be tourists and visit Wuyuan River National Wetland Park, a place I found while searching the web for camera shops.

Our walk initially took us towards the sea.


Our route was to take us over the bridge you can see above, along the wetland walk for a few kilometres and then back down the other side. The weather had changed since yesterday! In the second photo below the sea is invisible and in the third the river can’t be seen.



We knew that most of the early morning fog would disappear though and carried on regardless. Both of us thought this lonesome tree looked good.

Soon we were on the other side, through the underpass and onto the path.



There were signs showing us what types of creatures and birds we might see on our walk although we were doubtful because of the weather. Suddenly I spotted a bird on a rock, too far away as always, but it didn’t turn out too bad after cropping.

There is some history in this place, this used to be what they called ‘Snake Bridge’. Of course I forgot to take photos of how it is now, suffice to say we would not have tried crossing.

We couldn’t walk as near to the river as we’d have liked but we did get closer now and then.


People were scarce but we did find a fisherman repairing his net.

Climbing out of the river basin we found somewhere that could possible provide more photo opportunities for those with more time.

All we found was the escaped lesser spotted Bobicus!

We took far too many photos but then again it is a tourist walk.



Loud music was emanating from a little cabin and outside it there was a motorbike and sidecar combo. Huan agreed to have her picture taken sitting in the sidecar but as she tried to get in it started rolling forward. Exit stage left sharpish!

This appeared to be the end, at least on our side.


Once over the bridge we headed back towards the main road, taking photographs of the farming side of the path.






Back on the riverside we took this picture, just because it looked nice. Back at the hotel though we realised that there was something else to be seen. In the middle there is a flash of colour and when we enlarged to look further we found three beautiful birds. Can you find them?

Sorry, I had to take this one; I can’t not see spaghetti and coca cola with ciabatta!

More scenery is needed I think, it is a lovely place.






In that last picture I wondered who had put something on a rock. It turned out that it wasn’t a rock at all. Look closely at the centre of the photo, the stones near the opposite river bank and you may well see a bird there. The rock was in fact a ‘hide’. While we were there the user of the hide turned up. He told Huan that it was like a drug and that he spent four or five hours down here at one time. He does have some lovely shots though.

We had no idea what this object was until later in the walk when we discovered that it was for bees, beetles and other assorted small bugs to make their homes. I can only see one big bug!

Not long before we reached the end (beginning) of our stroll we found another bird. As usual it was too far away and the photo had to be heavily cropped.

So what was our verdict on Wuyuan River National Wetland Park? We did have a lovely walk but I have to say I was a little disappointed. I think the paths are far too wide, not beneficial for wildlife. Also the visitor centre was closed and run down. Having said that, I would go back and I would suggest that you go too. Go on a slightly nicer day, take sandwiches and a flask of coffee, a nice camera with a long lens and then sit and wait. It will be worth it!

It was way past our lunch time by now so we headed up the road to the new duty free shopping mall, the world’s largest one.

The interior is quite pretty.



Huan told me that she had found my long lost relatives!


We found the food court after we had already eaten a sandwich.

Trying to find the car we had to enlist the assistance of store security who are able to use software on their phones to help us out.

In the car park we found Kirby. Some of you Nintendo fans may know who he is, I didn’t.

Would I suggest you visit the ‘world’s largest duty free mall’? No, not yet, give it some time and it should be fine. At the moment it is too big, with misleading signs, especially for restaurants. Most of the ones not in the food court are not open yet. Many shops have also yet to open. Why is there no camera shop in a duty free? Hopefully there will be maps in the future too.

Back to the hotel we went after another long day being tourists. Late in the afternoon we headed to the hospital to collect my results. Why were there only two tests and not three? Usually they test TST, TPSA and FPSA, this year they only did the first two. A quick dash to the other building was required hoping that Dr, Zhang was still there. Luckily he was but all I managed to get was nothing to worry about. He was too busy for me to ask why no FPSA this year.

From there it was off to dinner, to a new place that we had seen yesterday afternoon, the Yon Ho restaurant. Huan thinks it is a Taiwanese chain.

It must be good; it has the frog seal of approval!

Dinner was good, definitely a place worthy of a return visit.


March 7th This morning we woke up to typical seaside fog again, even worse than yesterday.


No worries though, all we had to do today was go shopping and then drive home. First I had to satisfy my urge for a fried noodle breakfast. The restaurant was so busy we had to go upstairs.


Leaving the hotel we went to ‘The Grocery’ first, not as much variety as they used to have, so from there we went to ‘Corner’s Deli’. Surprisingly there was a lot less variety there too. German bread was on our list, no chance of that. There was also less in the realms of cheese, sausages and sandwich meat too. On the plus side, ‘Corner’s Deli’ is in a shopping mall and they had some electric cars for me to drool over, mostly the Nio EC7. Of course at a price of ¥400,000.00 / £43,000.000 we can only dream.

Soon we were back on the road heading to Wuzhishan but stopping at Tungshan on the way for lunch. I ended up buying two lunches, both the same, pork bread. The first one I ordered they stuck it into the microwave and then disappeared. Eventually I had to ask another member of the staff to rescue it! It was so hot that I couldn’t even hold it never mind eat it. Huan had almost finished her lunch when I went back and bought a second one, to eat cold this time.

Back in Wuzhishan the Prime Minister took over again and we had to visit Baijiahui for some more shopping. Here she is in her element.

Parking was not so easy at home so we had to empty the car, leave Huan looking after all the shopping and then find a place across the road. In the evening we were out yet again for more food. Our usual buffet restaurant has closed but we found a good substitute.


March 8th Today was an admin day, lazing around the house, sorting out hundreds of photos and bringing the blog up to date on the computer. It made a nice change!

March 9th Market day today so off we went on the off chance of finding some ready cooked pork for our weekly salad dinners. Before we got to the market we did spot a mantis but it was another one on its last legs I think.

At the market, as we half expected the sales lady was not there so the pork will have to wait till next week. Huan has a chicken in a bag that she bought off Pinduoduo so we’ll use that instead. The outside market, when we reached it, was jam packed.

On our merry-go-round we passed the new Li/Miao cultural shop so popped in for a look.

As we approached the sausage and bap market SWMBO was grumbling about the lack of lizards these days. Lo and behold, one appeared!

It would have been remiss of me not to buy sausages today, it’s been a while, so we popped in to say hello and buy a couple. Not long after I spotted a most unusual sight. Dòu dīng and Dòu huā were both relaxing on the steps outside their tea house. Dòu dīng can be a very jealous dog so when he saw me making a fuss of Dòu huā he sulked next to Huan.

Another car decal for you now, one that I didn’t really understand until I got home and saw it on the computer and then there was a loud ‘duh!’

Gentleman Bob was on hand today to help out the old folks. If you look very carefully you may spot that he is trying to hold his sausages under his arm!

Those same sausages nearly disappeared a few minutes later when I was saying hello to one of my many four legged friends. In the second photo I am explaining that they are my sausages!

Eagle Eyes then struck again, I got so close you could see him watching me, very closely!

Finally, I was busy taking a photograph of a bird in a tree when Huan found another one on a wire. Neither of us did so well I’m afraid.

March 10th Rain stopped play this morning but Huan dragged me out this afternoon. I was happy on the internet but in her role of Minister of Health she insisted! Around the corner we found some goslings for sale, the seller tried to get us to take a few home with us. ‘Mummy Goose’ was not happy with that at all although I suspect that my ‘Mummy’ would have loved to say yes. These goslings are called 狮头鹅苗, shī tóu é miáo or Lionhead goslings.

With overcast skies we didn’t want to push our luck but we did get into the countryside.

Soon we found more babies.

The cloudy weather was actually good walking weather today. Here you can see a view to the side of the road, and then the boss marching out in front. Normally that is me but I had stopped to take the photographs so she overtook me.


We might not have been hot but the crops in the field were!

For Huan a walk is not a good walk if we don’t find a lizard. She found three today but two disappeared before I got anywhere near them. Only this capture was successful.

Beautiful flowers with wonderful colours were the next subject I was ‘directed’ to.


And that was the last subject of the day so home we went. The rain was good to us and didn’t come back although the threat was there with a few drops now and then. After our lovely salad dinner it was back to the internet for me and the TV for Huan. I think I may well end up with an APSC camera. Who knows, I may actually come to a conclusion and make a decision!!

March 11th More miserable boring weather this morning and rain stopped play. That meant Huan was happy because we could go and do the weekly shop. With some trepidation I agreed. I was pleasantly surprised; maybe some of the snowbirds have already left? The queues at the weighing station and the cash desks were small enough so as not to worry us today.

After lunch I left Huan at home while I took Donald out for a wash. Our best intentions, having bought the car wash kit, fell by the wayside and we have not been using it enough. Donald needed ‘professional’ treatment this time. I dropped him off and went for a short walk, stopping for a coffee not far from my bank.

As I was relieving myself of the coffee I noticed this sign in front of me. Having seen and taken many photographs of this little insect a few times during our walks, I had to take another one today. What does it say? 我给你方便, wǒ gěi nǐ fāngbiàn - I'll give you convenience, 你还我清洁, nǐ huán wǒ qīngjié - You keep me clean.

My timing was a little off so I had to walk a little more before Donald was done. At least it meant I had a little exercise today. Here he is just prior to being finished and then resting at home. He looks a lot better than he did this morning!


So, another week bites the dust. We hope you are all doing well, if not, we’ll send you some invisible hugs. I have been told that they work very well! See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment