Translate

Monday, 20 July 2026

Wild Water Wading.

July 14th This week started with a little admin. Donald needed a pre-MOT service so the key was delivered to the garage on the corner. Our next stop was the chemist’s shop to try and find antiseptic ointment and nasal decongestant. We had foreign names on our list so consequently that was an unsuccessful mission. All we had time for then was a town walk, still enjoyable though. Our thumbnail this week is not scenery, for a change.

Just like last week we decided to explore one of those little villages.

It’s amazing just how quiet the middle of the city can be.


I chose another route back to the road.

From my vantage point I spotted two four legged friends and began to head for them. However, the director had other plans!

When we got to the dogs one was fine the other wouldn’t come near me.

And now it’s time for some of our wonderful scenery again.



I often walk past that last hedge but never succeed in finding anything to photograph. Going back to Huan’s side of the road I found something very small.

Why don’t we have some more of those views, this is the approach to Tea Street.



Today, instead of showing you our lunch, we are showing you it being made.

Huan then found what she calls ‘one of my friends’. This time I could not entice it to climb onto my hand or my arm. She still managed a phone pic though.

After our usual uneventful afternoon it was time to go local and find some dinner. Remember me saying I would have two portions of the liver next time I saw it. Well, I did just that. Even Huan had some today. Most British people don’t know what they are missing!


July 15th This morning started with a little rain so another small admin day was the result. First I had to write up yesterday’s post, I had been too lazy last night. Chinese lessons were next. Then, before lunch I had a little electrical work to redo. There was nothing wrong with the work recently done but it didn’t really work for my sleeping companion.

So, what was the reason for the change? The initial setup was a socket and attached switch which controlled the bedside lamp and then an unused telephone socket. During the recent renovations a blanking plate was put on the telephone socket and a new socket with attached switch was fitted. Unfortunately, the colour range we had chosen didn’t have the same alignment so while the switch worked fine Huan’s mosquito repellent would not plug in the right way up. I could put it my side of the bed but I don’t really want it there. Anyway, she is happy now.

Finally, before lunch, I had to some picture rehanging.



After lunch Huan napped while I left her to it. She seems to nap longer in the afternoon if I am not there, maybe better for her. In the evening, according to Huan, we had to have dumplings; it was the start of the dog days of summer. It’s also known as “Chu Fu 初伏 - First Fu Period: The Yang Awakening”. There are two more periods, Zhong Fu 中伏 and Mo Fu 末伏, you can learn more here - https://www.nomss.com/chinese-san-fu-periods-guide/ We both had exactly the same dish but I added a chicken leg on the side.


Could there be good news in the air? Huan sent a message to Window Man today. Surprisingly, he replied saying that the work would start again tomorrow. Despite us both having our fingers crossed and everything else, I won’t hold my breath.

July 16th As I expected nothing happened this morning. Window Man said that he was unable to contact the door installation team. He said that he would arrange delivery of the materials and the removal of the existing pile of debris outside our front door. None of this happened!

We took the opportunity to take Donald out for his annual check up, the Chinese equivalent of our UK MOT test. First we booked in and provided our up to date mileage. Interesting point, do you still call it mileage when you use kilometres?



While we were waiting for Donald to be taken inside I sneaked the first fag of the month.

We could relax then and watch Donald either on the screens or in one of the test bays.



Donald then disappeared back into the entrance and was lost to our view for a while. We think that must be another testing area, perhaps exhaust and other stuff. Eventually we got the call that he was ready, paid the bill and went to fetch him. The cost was ¥450.00, not bad.


We bought lunch on the way home, well Huan did. I drove up the road a bit, turned round and came back to fetch her. I stopped briefly at the side of the road to pick her up and at that exact time received a text message from the traffic police, words to the effect of, “you have stopped illegally at the junction of this road and that road. Please move you car immediately to avoid any further action”. I did as I was told and meekly drove home.

Today was our anniversary; we have been happily married for eighteen years now. Doesn’t time fly when you’re having fun? With our kitchen being out of action for so long Huan has been missing fish so that’s where we went, a fish restaurant in Baijiaui.

Here’s Huan having a sniff and then the fish dish itself.


Finally, here’s the happy couple!

July 17th After yesterday’s admin day we had another one today. My wallet, otherwise known as Huan’s secondary money receptacle, was empty so a visit to the bank was needed. Not far from home I stumbled across a bird.

On the way to the bank I also found three lizards. Mind you, I was only able to photograph one and a half. Well, I thought it was a half until I uploaded the photos and saw a little head there too.



Walking home along the river we found three or four squirrels n one tree.




Huan then found one of ‘my’ friends but I couldn’t get it to climb my arms. Instead it climbed hers. I got a fairly good shot of it; Huan was surprised that we could see hair on her arms. To be honest, I was surprised too.

We saw this last week but only had our phones with us. At that time we had no idea what it was and today we are none the wiser. Maybe someone out there can tell us.

Just in case you were unsure what this is, they have written the name on the side.

Back home Huan had yesterday’s doggy bag for lunch while I had some very soft bread with butter and marmalade. I suppose it was a change for both of us. In the evening I fancied something with chips but Huan preferred buffet style. Only after I had paid and was making my way to the table did I realise it was not our usual place. I still enjoyed it though.


July 18th Yesterday I asked Huan, “How can it be Saturday and market day again tomorrow when it was only yesterday that we had the last Saturday and market day?” I know, it sounds complicated but Huan understood exactly what I meant. Today of course it really is Saturday and market day although it was a little different to usual. Last night we had heard fireworks and not slept so well after. Huan was up early enough, I slept until almost nine. That meant we took the #2 only as far as the road that would lead us to the usual half way point.




Huan insisted on photographs of birds today.



I had a scenery break.

And then Huan had me back on the bird trail again.



Being late we dined out for lunch. I made sure that we had vegetables because in the evening we probably wouldn’t have enough of them.


Satisfied we carried on towards home, I found an insect and Huan found her favourite.


My plan came to fruition and we headed off to a burger place. It was a Chinese one I hasten to add, Tastien is the English name. Here is our tray.

This is the best place in town for chips! What else did we have? Well you can see the popcorn chicken; that is mine as are the chips. As for the burgers, well mine was chicken and pineapple, Huan’s was bacon and egg and we both has some lettuce included. I loved every last morsel of it and even Huan was happy to agree to a revisit in the future.


July 19th This morning should have seen the installation of our new shower door. When we decided that no one was coming we took a walk through the no title deed place. Even before crossing little island we found two small birdies.


Going to little island we used the blocked off road. Here is Huan navigating the obstacle.

I only took two snaps of Huan and she chose which one I could use. She took far too many of me, as usual, so here’s a gif.

I then had a little walk on the new walkway while Huan went the normal way. I made a mistake and had to scramble up to rejoin her. That is the second photo. Luckily, she had moved on too far to realise just what I was doing and took no photos of me.


Over the second bridge Huan did her usual and found me a lizard.

Poohsticks Bridge was next, where we did what we sometimes do and threw our little twigs in the water. Today neither of us won. Somewhere under the bridge our twigs fell in love and came out intertwined. It was then my turn to try one that Huan was convinced would not work.

How can anyone not like living here? Even in the city Wuzhishan is beautiful!


Soon we reached our destination.

For a change we thought we would try going the hard way. It was far more difficult than we thought it would be but we eventually ended up at the stream on the other side.



If I had thought that the hard was over, I was wrong! I had to hack a path for us.

I only got one of Her Ladyship, just before she removed her socks. The second is a view the other way; I wondered how we would get through there.


Huan was still busy with her phone.

She made a video of my progress, - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2gWefPWpo

Once I passed the rock Huan was filming from the going got a little easier and we did find quite an easy way to climb back out of the stream.

This was our last photo before going home for lunch and much needed naps!

In the evening it was our usual buffet restaurant and then a walk past the town square.


July 20th Yesterday Huan had given me so many photos and the video of course that I had no time to create the ‘words’ as we call them. This morning she had some admin to do, with the security office for the changeover of our electricity payment method and possibly with the local government for some future problems with our rental property. That gave me plenty of time to bring everything up to date.

What did Huan come home with? Do you really need to ask?

In the afternoon we were once again waiting for that elusive shower door. It never turned up! Once again we headed out for dinner, finding this enormous many legged creature on the way. OK, so it wasn’t that enormous really.

That was in a car park. We then headed uphill and into town.

Dinner was Spicy Sister’s place, here is Huan handing over the loot.

And here are our two dinners; Huan’s has the seaweed and tofu in it.


So there we are, another week over. As usual, don’t forget to share, click to enlarge the photos and to click to comment and/or ask questions. Tune in next week for more. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment