Translate

Monday, 28 September 2026

Progress, New Desks.

September 22nd Good morning all! We had a plan to visit Sanya today but the logistics info on our desks said that they were in Sanya. That meant a possible delivery to us today so we changed our minds. We took a bus upriver and walked back into town. The camera was left at home so we could use the new phone, today’s thumbnail is flora.


Before we even reached the bus stop the director had found her first lizard.

No sooner had we got off the bus than she went and did it again!

We must have scenery of course, even if you have seen it before. Some of you may remember that this is the place where we didn’t buy an apartment.

Huan found me a grasshopper but I missed it. No worries, I found my own!

I’m not sure about close up photography but the Huawei is much better than the Xiaomi. Wide angle scenery is just fine though.


Problems arose when the path in front of us was blocked. They were not insurmountable of course. I took only one photo of Huan clambering down backwards; she took too many of me!


The path ahead looked good.

And then…

This was a much easier obstacle to traverse than the previous one, soon we were through.



This was me playing with the phone, trying to create a moving selfie. I’ve a lot to learn!

Huan was a happy teddy today, she found even more lizards. Of course I had to use X10 magnification each time. The Huawei does quite well though.


I thought you might like another macro, this one was chosen for its yellow bit.

After a quick visit to the bank, again, we decided to have dinner at lunch time today. I had fried rice, Huan had beef noodles. We’ll be back to this place, they have big plate chicken and lamb chops too! Neither of those two dishes are cheap but they should be good.

The last one for today is Huan running for the bus, I was meandering behind.

Our desks didn’t turn up today, in fact they never left Sanya. I guess they might need to fill a truck before sending them through the mountains. We had a relaxing afternoon, with extended nap time and then cheese baps in the evening. No complaints here.

September 23rd Today’s weather was not easy to see. In fact the mountains were invisible for 360⁰ around the house.

It didn’t make a lot of difference to our plans; the desks were in transit from Sanya to here so we were playing a waiting game. Shortly after ten they were delivered.


Huan informed the sender and we started another waiting game, this time for the assembler to turn up. Eventually, some time after four, I asked Huan to call the sender and say that we would be going out for dinner, she could send someone tomorrow.

After a visit to the bank to top up our Taobao account, yes I still need to spend more money; we went to Duo Xi Ai for dinner. Here is the boss returning after paying.

And here are our dinners. Huan’s was definitely better than mine. She had the noodles and I, for a change, had a pizza. All it did was to remind me that we haven’t had a pizza at home for many months. Huan promised that she would make one soon! As for the one I had this evening, I would give it less than five out of ten.


On the way home I tried to get a picture of the traffic but I didn’t do so well. As you can see though the road was very busy, partly the rainy weather and partly school finishing time.

The sky through the clouds came out a little better.

September 24th We had another waiting game again today so we could only walk locally hoping for news either on the way or later in the day. I found a beautiful little subject who also spotted me and deserves more than one showing here.



Going through the market to find Huan’s forgotten umbrella from yesterday I spotted a tomcat running home after a night out. I gave him a meow so he deigned to stop and chat.


There are some surprising little pathways in our little city.


To Huan’s delight I found her another bird.

Let’s have some scenery, our river is slowly coming under control again although I do believe it will be some time before it returns to what we consider normal. The second photo is one of our lovely hotels that you can stay in while you visit.


After last night’s pizza failure Huan decided that she would make us one this weekend. That meant a visit to the market to buy tomatoes, garlic, onions and a red bell pepper. I tried making a composite photo in the market and to my surprise it worked very well.

Just in case we would have the desk assembler visiting the afternoon we decided to have dinner out and sandwiches for tea at home in the afternoon.



Huan was very tired walking home but she still managed to find a tiny lizard!

Eating a big meal at lunchtime certainly increases the need for naps, usually over two hours. It’s a good job we are both retired! I had a couple of jobs when I woke up and finished my coffee. The first one was to fit our new socket in the office. The more observant of you will notice that this is not a gold coloured socket. The reason for that is I could only find rear access fittings in white. You may also wonder why there is a socket on the wall. Well that used to be a wall light that we never used, once our new furniture is fitted it will be our network router and wifi location. It will make it easier to switch the wifi off when we go to bed.

The other two jobs have no photos. Number one was to make Huan’s pizza sauce for tomorrow or Saturday. That was easy, just whiz up two skinned tomatoes, a whole cooked garlic and some paprika. It beats buying ready made. The second job was to make our English sandwiches for tea; tuna fish mixed with diced onion and vinegar, and then put on sandwiches with cucumber. Huan had extra onions with hers; I had pickled garlic with mine. Oh, we did also have a message from the desk sender this afternoon. She gave Huan a phone number for the assembler. Huan called him and he will be here tomorrow morning.

September 25th Happy days are here again, the furniture assembler turned up. He is actually from Hainan, the Miao ethnic group. That means he speaks at least three different languages, possibly even more. Anyway, here is the first desk.




This is me inspecting the underside of the desk to see how easy it would be to drill holes for cable access between PC and monitor etc.

The second desk was assembled in two halves in the living room and then combined in the office. Minor assistance was provided by the peasant under orders from SWMBO.


The final result was fine for me but Huan seems far more excited than I am. The 1.4m desk will be where I sit and the 1.2m will be Her Ladyship’s.


No naps were taken today. Huan had taken far too many photos, more so for desk one than for desk two so a long time was spent on them. Once that was done I spent hours searching on Taobao. Somewhere along the way, over the last few months, I must have got my measurements mixed up. Our big tool cabinet was to be moved into the office out of Huan’s way on both balconies and the second bedroom. It turned out to be too big to fit so I had to order a new one. I’ll be clearing out some rarely used tools! Also I ordered a UPS for the computer. Power failures are not common but when they do occur the computer really doesn’t like it. More buying will happen tomorrow, when we have put some more loot in the Taobao bank!

We stayed very local for dinner, with our umbrellas in hand. We were fortunate though, the rain only spat at us. Many restaurants were closed, today is Mid Autumn Festival, learn more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival. We had already eaten our moon cakes this afternoon with our coffee. Our dinners are here, from a buffet place that was open and busy.


September 26th No work today, we are now awaiting the painter who is on his Moon Festival holidays. That meant we had a chance to go the market. I was too lazy to take the camera so all photos, except the one of me, come from the Huawei. First a X10 lizard.

And then a X10 bird even further away.

This is the one not taken with the Huawei, I am chatting with an Australian guy who lives in Sanya. I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t get his name; maybe he will read this and correct my omission. He also had a lovely little pooch whose name I also didn’t get.

I tried a slow motion video with the phone which seemed to work fine. In fact it is still slow motion if I watch it on the phone. However, when I upload it to the computer it plays at normal speed. Another question for the store when we go there. For the Moon Festival holiday someone found a stray moon. It is lit up at night time so I daresay you will be able to see the Moon Goddess Chang,e and maybe even the Jade Rabbit.


Just before we reached home I tried a macro shot. It was a little worrying because the subject seemed to keep trying to jump at me before I took the photo.

Naps were taken, of course! There was no dinner out today though; it was pizza day at home. The ingredients do not include rambutans, they were for me. For some reason the cheese is missing from this photo.

For some reason Huan likes making pizza more than she likes normal cooking.


Here is one of the finished articles, and mine ready to eat a few minutes later.


The half you see here will go in the fridge for our dinner tomorrow. The whole one will be sliced up and put into the freezer in two bags for another occasion.


I have to say that I really enjoyed today’s dinner and it was all I could do not to steal another slice or two. After the debacle earlier in the week it was absolutely wonderful. Huan, as always, did a great job with no help from me whatsoever.

September 27th No sign of any painter man and of course Window Man is still AWOL. We went for a walk to look for pieces of wood. These are to go on the floor, behind the desks and the bookcases, to prevent pressure on the electrical plugs. Today was just an expeditionary trip; we will buy them next week sometime. My first subject was this, I liked the English.

We went to place where we sometimes find squirrels or birds. No squirrels were to be seen but we did find a couple of different birds.

We found a lizard in exactly the same location as yesterday; he may even have been the same one. No worries, we’ll take it anyway!

We were in a furniture shop looking at small tables when a little mutt came to say hello. I told the trader that saying hello to her dog was far more important that looking at furniture.

We were heading for the other #2 bus to take us back into town and not home. On our way to the stop we had to cross the river. Today was a nice day for a walk.


We were going into town to have lunch at the bakery.

Huan had other ideas and hijacked the plan. We still went to the bakery but we had noodles. While we waited we took photos of each other.

The noodles were very good, definitely worth having again in the future. Huan managed to snap me drinking my soup out of the bowl. Don’t worry; it’s not considered bad manners here.


That was our day really, only naps and pizza to mention. We did receive our UPS though, now I am awaiting a response about the communication software which may or may not be needed. There’s a website mentioned where I downloaded the info and an exe file. The PDF file talks about a CD; I do not have said CD and doubt very much whether I need it. While waiting for a reply the UPS is on a twelve hour pre-usage charge.

We also had bad news on the painter front; he will not be able to start work before 4th October, after the holiday is over. We may have to do the office ourselves. I’m not sure if I can face another seven or eight days working with the windowsill as my desk.

September 28th A trip to the Huawei store was the plan for this morning. It failed, the young man we needed to see was not working until the afternoon. Instead we headed off to buy our wooden spacers and on the way home bumped into Dad’s Army.

After lunch the rains came so we stayed home and I began the process of cutting the spacers for the desks. The bookcase spacer will just be laid on the floor. Huan doesn’t want to see anything under the desks so I have to mount them behind. The first seven snaps are the trial run to see if it will work and number eight is the beginning of the other three. They will of course be stained, hopefully nearly matching the shade of the desks. The combination stain and varnish was ordered today, I can rest for a day or two maybe.

The rain eased off so were able to go out for dinner. Before we went I thought this cloud looked awesome. It was slowly moving across the mountains. I guess it would have made a good time lapse video but time was too short.

Dinner was local just in case the rain came back!


Another week bites the dust! Slowly our humble abode is taking shape again. Tune in next week for further progress and no doubt some photos of me working again! Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment