Translate

Tuesday 7 January 2020

Laser Torture, Hairy Potatoes and Stuff

January 1st No songs this year, poems instead. “Again I reply to the triple winds running chromatic fifths of derision outside my window: Play louder. You will not succeed. I am bound more to my sentences the more you batter at me to follow you. And the wind, as before, fingers perfectly its derisive music.” (January, by William Carlos Williams)

One good thing about not having a ‘real’ New Year means that everything is open as normal. We took a trip to the 快递 (Kuàidì), Express Delivery office this morning. There are many of these companies, China lives on “on-line shopping”. I just trust Huan’s choice, which was made on a recommendation from her singing and dancing friends. It didn’t cost a lot, only ¥60.00, and they even supplied some packing for us. You don’t need to see packed boxes though do you? How about the little birdie that was in their office instead? He’s a handsome little fellow that even let me tickle his tum. He wasn’t impressed when I got near his beak mind!


After lunch we had a walk around town to try and buy my new chair locally. I almost bought the one that Huan thought was good, even though I thought it was too expensive. When we had been everywhere else we went back to that particular shop and had another look. I didn’t buy it. It had one option that I don’t need; it can ‘lie down’. If I want to lie down, the bedroom is inches away from the office! Also, having a closer look at it, it appeared to lean a little to one side. The normal price would have been around ¥1,800.00 or ¥1,900.00 but it had been reduced in the ‘New Year Sale’ to ¥1,350.00. Huan even negotiated a further reduction to ¥900.00. It was the closer inspection that led me to understand why, added to the fact it was the ‘only one left’ and a display model to boot. Presently I’m using a dining room chair so it looks like the next one will come from Taobao after all.

Huan cooked us a lovely roast chicken dinner for New Year’s day, after which we lazed around again. She has no dancing these evenings; her teacher needs a short break. It made a pleasant change to be home together.

January 2nd Whatever bug Huan had she eventually got rid of it yesterday, but not before passing on the bad throat to me. She really loves me and likes sharing! That meant I had no walkies today, yet again, but the weather was miserable in the morning anyway. I did think that when the sun came out after lunch I might go for a little one but sheer exhaustion took over and an OAP nap was called for. That was me dead to the world for a couple of hours.

Huan was out for a committee meeting again. No news except that the price of our water will be going up. It’s a shame my pension never goes up, but I suppose we’re lucky that Huan’s does. She also paid our maintenance fees for the next year; we must be one of the few that pay on time and in full.

Her Ladyship was back to gallivanting again in the evening, down at the town square doing her ‘Dama dancing’. I caught up on all my scanning and filing. I wonder how many of my friends do the same kind of thing. Old habits die hard.


January 3rd Sometimes I have to do things I really don’t like to do, today was one such time. Those of you who know me, may or may not know, that I have a mole just below the right corner of my right eye. Well in the last couple of weeks I have noticed it appears to have grown, become a little more ‘wobbly’ and started itching. Also, a couple of nights ago I awoke to some blood spots on my pillow. Perhaps I scratched it when I was asleep or perhaps drying myself with the towel ruptured the skin, I don’t quite know. Anyway, the “Minister of Health” decided a hospital visit was in order, this is what happened there.




Talk about pain, which as you already know, I’m allergic to, this hurt! Afterwards the doctor told Huan that it could be less painful but that would have cost more and the healing process would be slower. How much did it cost? Well the fee to see the dermatologist was ¥13.30, (£1.45) and the charge for the treatment was zero. Yes, you read that right, zero. In addition to that, because it was the dermatologist in our local hospital there was no queue and we were in and out in less than half an hour, probably much less. It will take a few days to see how my ‘new face’ looks but here’s what it looked like when I got home.


Before going home though we had a stroll around town. The first thing I needed was a coffee and a fag! I know, I should give up but the spirit is weak and the flesh is even weaker. A new pair of casual shoes was next on the agenda; you know the type, canvas tops, blue, tan or white kind of thing, preferably as cheap as chips. Now Huan will buy herself cheap shoes but keeps guiding me towards Adidas and Nike and such like which I most definitely do not need and are absolutely far too expensive. It didn’t matter in the end anyway because not a single shop in Wuzhishan has shoes that will fit me. Stop sniggering in the back row! My feet are not that big, but Chinese sizes are all over the place. Usually a size 44 will do but today only one shop had that size and I couldn’t even get them on my feet. Haikou may be better or we may have to resort to Taobao again. I don’t really want to do that because shoes are the one thing I have never yet managed to successfully buy on-line.

Evening time gave me my first Endomondo of the year, not a long one though. I walked about five and a half kilometres just to give me my daily ten. We did walk a fair bit this morning so we entered that manually. It felt good to be out walking again. Let’s see how we go tomorrow, it won’t be too long though, it’s farmer’s market day.

January 4th Would you believe that we both woke up with the sniffles and sore throats yet again? Whatever is around this year doesn’t really want to go away! We both still decided that a walk would be beneficial anyway as long as we didn’t overdo it.

We managed my planned ten kilometres and came back via the Saturday farmer’s market. Most of today’s photos were of dogs, and you’ve seen most of the dogs before. This one impressed Huan though because every time I stopped making a fuss of him, he put his paw out for me to start again. I’ve seen him a few times but Huan had only seen him once before, when we didn’t have a camera with us.


It seems that it’s not only cats and English children that like boxes. This little chappie was happy sitting in his box snacking on peanuts while his Mum and Dad were busy making and selling peanut oil.


And our last photo of the day, also from the market is vegetables. Can you guess what they are? The nearest I could get from Huan was “hairy potatoes, they are white inside”.


Lunch today, even though it’s the weekend, was not the ‘Full English’. Huan had cooked so much yesterday, vegetable dumplings, sliced stuffed eggplant and vegetable balls, that we had too much food in the fridge. Not to worry, I love all of those things!

We both had an OAP sleep in the afternoon, disturbed by Huan’s singing friends. The ‘boss’ wanted them to go up to the place where they practice to film a short movie. Whether we will ever get to see it I don’t know. She also came back with a few balls of wool and some knitting needles. They have been asked to knit some sweaters for poor children. The finished products must be produced by April, by which time of course, sweaters will not be needed!

January 5th Two sleepy heads this morning, for some reason we both woke up late. Still, we did have our first real walk of the year, thirteen and a half kilometres in three hours. We went upriver the northern side of the river and came home downriver on the southern side. Did we see much? Well it was not a very auspicious start. When we were in the lift going downstairs I told Huan I had forgotten my old tracksuit bottoms for the clothes recycling bin. No problem, we can do that tomorrow. A short way into the walk I realised I had also forgotten my glasses and my camera! At least I remembered to get dressed!

Not having the camera means I wasn’t really looking out for much but I did spot what I thought was a dead worm. I thought it was a worm because it was brown and I didn’t have my glasses on. Huan pointed out that it was in fact a dead snake.


There was a little lad from the village there who was warily walking away from us until we saw the snake. He then came to have a look too. To our surprise, he held out his hand and asked for money; that rarely happens in China. Perhaps his sisters who were nearby chatting to him were egging him on.

To come downriver on our side of it, we usually have to fight our way through the undergrowth just near the bridge but today we were lucky, there’s a new set of steps, not quite complete yet, but good enough for us.


Being out so late today meant that when we got home neither of us felt like a real lunch. Instead we had milkshakes made with Nescafe Smoovlatte Mocha and ice cream, very nice! That meant we finished off Huan’s Friday cooking marathon for this evening’s dinner so no work needed by either of us. After that it was the usual Sunday for me, a nice hot salty bath, this time in the company of “Denise Mina”, an author who, in this book anyway, writes a great story set in Glasgow. Huan did her stint of Dirty (oops) Dama dancing.

January 6th “Monday is shopping day, is everybody happy, you bet your life we are.” A bit of poetic licence there, I know they are not the correct words. Anyway, morning was lazing around for me while Huan went to her choral practice.

Now you may not know this but I am in China on a ‘spousal visa’, in other words my visa is dependant on Huan. All Chinese people, as you may remember, have a household registration book, known as a ‘hukou’. Now because we live in Hainan, and not Dalian which is where Huan’s hukou was issued, she has to get a temporary card here every year. If she didn’t do this, we would not be able to live here despite the fact that all the property we own is here. Tomorrow is the expiry date of her present card so she had a trip to the police station today. There was a new girl there who had no idea, and it didn’t seem to be ‘in the file’, that Huan lives here along with me, her foreign husband. We now have to wait another three weeks before a new card will be issued. Don’t you just love bureaucracy?

So, shopping today was after lunch, not a big shop, we’ll be off to Haikou again this week. It was also time to replace the music SD card in the car, Christmas is now well and truly over. The dash cam SD card also needed replacing. Both SD cards were brought home with us and promptly forgotten about until I started today’s Blog entry!

Do you remember the previous saga of Bob’s office chair? Today we learned that money had been reimbursed to Huan’s account. This is good news, right? Wrong! The chair cost ¥218.00, the shipping charge was ¥90.00. For us to send it back the charge was ¥60.00. Total cost equals ¥368.00. I didn’t expect to get our return shipping cost back, but what appeared in Huan’s account didn’t even equal the cost of the chair. She received ¥198.00. I have to leave her to argue about it but I doubt if anymore will be forthcoming. Just to add to how comical it all is, Huan received a phone call this evening from one of the express delivery companies. Having not ordered anything we were a little puzzled, could it be a long lost Christmas card perhaps. Nope, it was a replacement arm for the chair we had already sent back!

At least the day finished on a happy note, I had a call from #1 son, it’s his birthday today. Happy Birthday #1!

I’ll sign off here, post this, and then get on with the SD cards. Bieee for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment